[IP] Impact of viruses and span on email performance

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:33:10 -0400
From:
Dave,

This weekend I accidentally discovered that I was not receiving some
emails sent to my MIT alumni email address. I went to the university's
website and found no mention of a problem in the alumni email area and
so I sent an email reporting the problem. Below is the message I got
back.

What disturbs me most about this situation is that they clearly know
there is a problem and yet they make no effort to proactively
communicate. Most people who this impacts probably don't even know they
are missing mail.

Also, I wonder how many other forwarding systems/accounts across the
globe are experiencing the same problems as a result of the viruses,
worms and spam and are not informing their customers.

I realize this is a bit of catch 22. If they let people know there's a
problem then they will be inundated with inquiries and worried alumni;
meanwhile if someone discovers a problem, they lose confidence in the
system and stop using the account completely. I'm sure MIT's counting on
this not being publicized and so only a handful of folks like me
discovering the problem and shunning the service.

btw, EFL in the message below, stands for email forwarding for life.