[IP] more on pornography as a consequence of p2p?

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:01:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [IP] pornography as a consequence of p2p?

you certainly can delete my name out of this one!

On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 05:22  PM, Dave Farber wrote:

Today's NY Times (<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/07/technology/07PORN.html>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/07/technology/07PORN.html)
has an article on the latest scheme by the content industry to combat
peer-to-peer file-sharing:  they're asserting that it promotes the
spread of pornography.  The article does note the hypocrisy involved
in such a claim; it does not note that the fundamental end-to-end
nature of the Internet makes blocking such things very, very difficult.

Hi Dave,

I did a big research project on Scour's traffic around 1997-98. (I left the firm prior to completion, so it was never published). Recall that Scour was a centralized, Napster-like media search program/site. Scour was to Video what Napster was to Audio.

>From what I determined (anecdotally at least -- the company imploded under a hail of litigation before I received formal answers to my queries) the vast majority of Scour's traffic -- something like 80%+ -- was hard core, triple-X porn.

Ironically, the MPAA was one of the staunchest opponent's of Scour; At the time, our working title of the research was "MPAA: Defender of the Porn."

While we can argue how much of a threat to full length feature films P2P is (Do ya really wanna watch a film on your PC?), the peering phenomena was and continues to be a very real threat to the Adult film business (although osme are trying to use P2P as an XXX advertising medium.

Scour searches allowed for a very specific search (not just files types QT, MWV, ASF, MPG), but specific sex acts and specific Adult stars. Once the P2P database of adult film clips reached critical mass (which it did very quickly) you could custom tailor your search for whoever you wanted doing whatever you want to whomever else you wanted. It was the ultimate in customizable searches (use your imagination).

Ironically, the lower cost "amateur" film sites have very effectively hijacked much of the XXX P2P action as a method of advertising. They have flooded the web with partial, lower quality clips, each branded with their websites URL on it. It was a very smart response to the threat, one which the music industry completely overlooked. Meanwhile, the mainstream porn producers (i.e., Vivid Video) have been complaining that sales are growing less robustly.

Regards,