Re: [council] News Alert -- Toronto Presentations Published

Title: Re: [council] News Alert -- Toronto Presentations Published
Kristina, Mike, Chuck, et.al.:

So these meetings were started as meetings between ICANN and gTLD registrars to promote understanding of registrar obligations under the RAA – i.e., to improve compliance with RAA contractual conditions. These meetings were especially necessary and useful in certain regions outside the US where, it was thought, that registrar obligations were not well understood. With the accreditation of new registrars, the meetings continue to be very useful for that reason. Registrar fees are used to improve contractual compliance. These discussions are necessarily between ICANN and its contracted parties.

After having meetings for this purpose in Europe and Asia, we received requests to have a similar meeting in North America. Since then, we have had three annual meetings in each of the three regions. After the first meeting or two, Registries asked to be included. Since a large part of the discussion about ensuring a good registrant experience is related to the registry-registrar relationship, registry participation was welcomed. I can understand how participation can seem both obligatory and onerous to registries to some extent – registries generally attend events in all three regions where registrars only attend the event in their region.

The initial meetings were some of the early significant outreach events conducted by ICANN, especially in Asia. Since funding was not available then (and we seek to act responsibly and economically now), we asked participants to sponsor segments – someone pays for lunch, someone pays for dinner, someopne pays for coffee. This year, among others, Afilias sponsored the baseball game trip, Tucows sponsored a dinner, ICANN paid for the meeting room, the meeting planning and coffee. We split the costs. Every participant pays their own way.

In this meeting in Toronto we discussed in detail the plan for transfer of registry operations in the event of a failure and, in a separate session, data transition for terminated registrars. Both these measures are being implemented for the protection of registrants. Both these measures require detailed discussions among registries, registrars and ICANN.

Contractual compliance improvements

Protection of registrants

Split the costs

Implement continuity procedures