[council] Re: DOODLE / GNSO Council Restructuring drafting team / next call

Avri,

Not being in the OSC operations WT but having an interest in the topic, I
will reply to a few points made in this thread if you will allow just one
more incursion in this mailing list...

I am however copying the Council list as I see this as a long term issue,
and one which the Council will have to address.

On the points raised by Liz, as I suggested before I think a kind of
test-run could be tried on selected WGs or DTs to start with, as long as the
aim is to find a solution to the problem as a whole.

More generally, Liz is absolutely right to point out that organising
meetings in timezones outside the US will place a burden on ICANN's
US-centric staff. That is absolutely something that we must think about, but
it's also something that serves to highlight the US-centric problem even
more. Because ICANN has limited staff outside of the US, it will find it
hard to provide support for those volunteers in the SOs and ACs that are
from other timezones. We therefore seem to be hitting against a
contradiction in the ICANN model, which on the one hand strives towards
maximum regional representation (just look at the diversity of volunteers on
the Council and in any other ICANN structure, or look at the work done on
geo regions for instance), but on the other hand doesn't have the logistics
to back that up.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we are to try to make volunteers' life
easier when they are outside the "convenient" US or European regions, we
will also need to find ways to have those volunteers adequately supported by
ICANN staff.

An interested discussion, and one which we obviously need to give a lot more
thought to before we are able to suggest workable solutions.

Thanks,

Stéphane