RE: [council] UN - ICT Task Force Working Group Document on ICANN

Erick,

thanks for bringing this document to the attention of Council. I am familiar
with and follow the work of the UN - ICT
Task Force, wearing my broader hat in policy for my company, but hadn't
examined this report previously.

This proposal is indeed interesting and supports capacity building in
participation of developing countries in ICANN.

Overall, even as we examine this, I offer one other thought to the Council.  I
think it critically important to include in any discussion, and to advise the
ICANN staff and board along these lines, that ICANN's best path to success is
to focus, focus, focus, on 1) improving and building relationships with key
stakeholders, such as the root servers, RIRs, and ccTLDS 2) focusing on key
policy issues which are clearly in their scope, including completing the
evaluation of the new gTLDs, determining a process for the introduction of any
further gTLDs, completing and implementing policy work on Transfers, Deletions,
and WHOIS, and multi-lingual domain names and 3)building the new board and
staff and the global set of stakeholders into a coherent and well functioning
and well understood organization.

Co-existence with other related endeavors and events is important for ICANN's
success, even as we all maintain a critical focus on implementing the reform
which has been undertaken and ensuring the bottom up processes which we are all
committed to. So, activities which support ICANN's core success and focus and
strengthen the awareness and understanding of ICANN's functions are of interest
to me to support. And will require some attention by all who support ICANN.

I appreciate your sharing this with the Council.

Marilyn