RE: [council] Conclusions of gTLDs committee 6 Feb 2003

Title: Re: [council] Conclusions of gTLDs committee 6 Feb 200

-----Original Message-----
From: M. Stuart Lynn [mailto:lynn@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:04 PM
To: Philip Sheppard; Council (list); Denise Michel
Subject: Re: [council] Conclusions of gTLDs committee 6 Feb 2003

Phillip -- I have not entered into this discussion, but I must correct you on one point. There is nothing in the literature to suggest that I or the Board favor or disfavor a "taxonomic rationalization". That does not mean that anyone rejects such a notion, but it would be a mistake to precede from any basis of assuming that any of us have any preference. There are very powerful arguments in favor of no structure, amny of which were voiced in the Public Forum in Amsterdam.

The Board (including me or my successor) are very much interested in the views of the Names Council on this subject. Jordyn is quite correct in assuming that my report and comments were the driving force behind the wording in the resolution. On the other hand, there is no need for the Committee to take too constructionist a view.  The Names Council is of course always free to express its opinion on any subject within its charter. The Board is seeking advice, not policy input at this stage.

Thanks

Stuart