RE: [council] GNSO election results

Bruce:

Thank you for your judicious handling of this sensitive problem.

If there were any basis for challenging NCUC elections
I agree that you have proposed to resolve the problem
correctly. But I think you may have overlooked a far
more serious issue.

Any challenge to the seating and voting capacity of the NCUC
members must have been made BEFORE the voting results
were known, and indeed BEFORE the election even took place.
Our representatives were seated and given ballots. One cannot
wait until an election is over and, if one does not like the result,
start looking for excuses to challenge people. That is a far more
serious violation of basic voting principles than anything that
did occur or could ever occur in the NCUC.

On the eve of this election, my vote was actively courted
by CBUC members, and I have recorded telephone messages
to prove it. If my vote was legitimate and worth getting then,
why and how did it become illegitimate after the results were
known?

Because of that, I fail to see why this challenge was even
entertained. By calculating what the votes would have been
without our participation you are giving a credence
to this challenge that it does not deserve.

As for the challenge to our election, suffice it to say this:
We had 5 open positions and 4 people ran. There was no
contest in any of the regions. It's kind of hard to steal or
manipulate an election under those circumstances. I would like
to know who this challenger thinks was harmed by our process.

Since our active members are not full-time paid lobbyists, we have to work
hard simply to get people to be able to fill these demanding
positions, and the ones who do quickly get burnt out, as Harold
can attest. Whatever problems or confusion came out of that
election was due to a lack of resources and organizational
capacity. I'm committed to fixing that. This ill-motivated "challenge"
won't help; it will simply make things worse.
--MM

>>> "Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP" <mcade@xxxxxxx> 03/13/03 08:55PM >>>

I object to the interpretation that the Chair has conveyed that "if a whole
constituency" is removed,
then the election stands. I cannot agree. If the constituency challenge is not
validated, then my challenge/objection can be withdrawn.

The "balance" of votes --giving 6 votes to the Registries and 6 votes to the
Registrars was predicated on a "balance".
SHOULD the balance be disrupted, then the voting algorithm must be changed.

I hereby register a protest, pending the outcome of the determination of the
constituency challenge. After that determination, I will consider whether to
withdraw my challenge.

Marilyn Cade
BC officer