Re: split display?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:39:06PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> >> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/mutt/#x-label
> >
> > Yeah ... This patch might be very helpful, but I wonder how the
> > messages get those labels. When you have the patch, can you edit the
> > label with mutt and then use it to limit the display?
>
> Precisely. You can already limit the display to just what's in an
> X-Label header (using ~y). That patch allows you to edit labels from
> within mutt, though technically you could play macro games with
> $editor in order to get a similar effect.

That sounds very good! I'll have to try that.

> > It still wouldn't solve the problem of keeping a conversation
> > together, i. e. sent mail together with received mail, preferably
> > displayed as a thread. Without categories, there's probably no way
> > to solve that.
>
> What? I do that all the time. What's wrong with keeping sent mail in
> the same place as incoming mail?

It would mess up the inbox even more. There isn't any concept (I know
of) of "keeping mails together" other than threading and using
different maildirs. Threading eventually breaks when people use
different addresses or sometimes change them and when their MUAs screw
up or don't have the references.

Is there a way to make the sent mails easier to distinguish from the
received ones, like giving them a different color in the list? If
there is, I could try storing them in the inbox. However, the only
purpose of that would be to make it easier to later move them into the
final storage together with the recieved mails.