Re: Mixmaster

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:45:24PM +1000, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
> I did quite a bit of work with mixmaster years ago and I think some of
> the information in the manual was from me. I am no longer interested in
> using mixmaster but I sort of keep an eye on it. Recently I have
> returned to using mutt on linux after a spell using it on cygwin. I am
> using the Ubuntu package prior to playing around with the latest
> release. That Ubuntu package included mixmaster support. That got me
> thinking and checking a few things.
>
> First, is anybody using it? It seems unlikely to me as if they were they
> would be complaining about how out of date the manual is. The latest
> manual I have to hand (1.5.18) has this to say:-
>
> "Mixmaster support in mutt is for mixmaster version 2.04 (beta 45
> appears to be the latest) and 2.03. It does not support earlier versions
> or the later so-called version 3 betas, of which the latest appears to
> be called 2.9b23." (I think I wrote that ages and ages ago).
>
> According to http://mixmaster.sourceforge.net/ "The current 3.0.x
> versions are stable and widely deployed". If the manual is still
> correct, and I have no reason to suppose it is not, then mutt does not
> work with the latest mixmaster 3.0.x although it probably works with
> 2.0.4b46 which is still available via that link (click to go to download
> centre). 2.0.4b46 is dated 2002.  3.0.x is dated March 2008. So at the
> very least the manual needs updating to read something like:-
>
> "Mixmaster support in mutt is for mixmaster version 2.03 and 2.04
> (2.0.4b46 is still available from 2002). It does not support earlier
> versions or the current version 3.0 (dated March 2008)."
>
> I hestitate to recommend this change because I do not know whether it is
> correct. Maybe the mixmaster code in mutt has been changed. Can anyone
> help out with better information?
>
> Note that I can reply to this in the next 20 hours or so, but will then
> be off the internet for 4 days. I will reply on my return. I will not be
> ignoring you.

Just a small followup to my own post. I found the mixmaster changelog
and it appears that mutt support was added to the version 3 beta 25.
i.e. not long after the manual article reference was correct. The change
made was the introduction of the -T argument to mixmaster which mutt
uses. I recall that this was the problem. This change was in 2001-09-14.
It looks as if the manual has been wrong for nearly 8 years. I suspect
this is an indication of the degree of interest in mixmaster and mutt.
We need to know whether it still works and then update the manual.

Brian.

--
Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) Email: b_duke(AT)bigpond(DOT)net(DOT)au