gmail + imap problem

New to the list. I have been happily using mutt on the Eeepc. Distro
is the Debian based Netbook Remix. I use the Mutt Imap configuration
to connect to gmail. But one day it stopped working. I have googled,
tinkered with the imap settings etc but it refuses to budge. No
changes were made to the mutt configuration but some other deb
packages may have been updated about the time of the failure. Below
are logs of attempted connections. I am at a loss. : (

=================
Connection failed. errno: 4...
Connection failed. errno: 4...
Could not connect to imap.gmail.com (Interrupted system call).
Connected to imap.gmail.com:993 on fd=-1
mutt_num_postponed: using old IMAP postponed count.

================
Connection failed. errno: 4...
Connection failed. errno: 4...
Could not connect to imap.gmail.com (Interrupted system call).
Connected to imap.gmail.com:993 on fd=-1
mutt_num_postponed: using old IMAP postponed count.
mutt_index_menu[633]: Got op 146

Connection failed. errno: 4...
Connection failed. errno: 4...
Could not connect to imap.gmail.com (Interrupted system call).
Connected to imap.gmail.com:993 on fd=-1
mutt_num_postponed: using old IMAP postponed count.
mutt_index_menu[633]: Got op -1
mutt_index_menu[633]: Got op 146