Re: Mutt on Mac: MuttToMail

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 08:41:36AM -0700, John Velman wrote:
> For those who don't know:  On Mac an "application" is a special kind
> of file containing an executable and a bunch of other stuff.  On Mac,
> one can designate a default mail program, but it must be an
> "application"  Mutt, as it stands, isn't an "application".  When one
> clicks on a "mailto" url, the default mail application comes up with a
> blank message (except for the "To") ready to go.
>
> It is kind of irritating to suddenly have a Mac Mail or Thunderbird
> window show up!  To get Mutt to be the default requires putting it
> into an "application" wrapper.
> <snip>

Support for this is already built directly into iTerm.

You have to set up a bookmark explicitly for mutt (mine has the command
'/sw/bin/mutt "$$URL$$"'), and then bind this command to the mailto url
(in the application preferences).

Some applications don't listen to the what the default mail application
is (such as inviting people to a calendar event). I have found that if
you have some system wide applescript files you can convince it to use
mutt (details for that are available
http://blag.tsukasa.net.au/2008/11/12/moving-away-from-mailapp/)

I hope this helps.

--