Re: Deleting messages via IMAP

On Sun, May 31, 2009, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> That's more of an iPhone question than anything else... unfortunately,
> as far as I know, the answer is essentially what Michelle told you.
> You have to use the iPhone to explicitly remove the messages from the
> server. Unfortunately, according to what I've found with a few Google
> searches, that's currently impossible. For example, these folks:
> http://blogs.freshlogicstudios.com/Posts/View.aspx?Id=44a01293-3b32-4ee0-b23c-fac99348e1cd
>
> have created an extra utility just for expunging messages. Of course,
> the utility has to be run from a desktop (Windows) machine.
>
> An alternative is to simply convince mutt to hide these messages from
> you, which you can do using limit. But it might be simpler to simply
> have mutt do an automatic sync whenever it enters a mailbox, e.g.:
>
>      folder-hook . 'exec sync-mailbox'

Fair enough.  Thanks.  The other weird part is that after I've
accessed my mail from the iPhone and then gone back into mutt, mutt
will tell my I have new mail in that mailbox but then won't show
there's new mail in that mailbox after that, so no indication in the
status bar and nothing when I go to change folders.  It will start
working again properly once I've written to the mailbox from within
mutt, like deleting and expunging.

-Ken