Re: Notification on new mails

On 25Apr2009 13:55, Chengqi(Lars) Song <songcq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Im using getmail/procmail/mutt/msmtp as my personal mail toolkit. It
| works well but lacks of notification on new mails. How do you deal
| with that?
|
| I want to add a notification to new coming mail in my "inbox-vip" mail
| box. How can I modify my procmailrc for that? the corresponding lines are:
|
| :0
| * ^(Subject|From|To|Cc|Bcc):.*vip
| $MAILDIR/inbox-vip

I do this:

  # cats/home: !me,fvwm   FVWM            fvwm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx
  :0
  * ^(to|cc|bcc):.*\<(fvwm-announce@math\.uh\.edu)\>
  {
    LOG=`datecode`" "`email-summary-line 2>&1 || :`$nl
    :0whf
    | formail -f -A 'X-Cats2Procmailrc-Rule: cats/home: !me,fvwm  FVWM
  fvwm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxx'
    :0whf
    | formail -f -A 'X-Label: FVWM'
    :0hwc
    | announce-email "+me,fvwm" || :
    :0c
    /home/cameron/mail/me/
    :0
    /home/cameron/mail/fvwm/
  }

The important bit is the accounce-email command in the middle.
Your rule becomes:

  :0
  * ^(Subject|From|To|Cc|Bcc):.*vip
  {
    :0whf
    | announce-email ...
    :0
    $MAILDIR/inbox-vip
  }

Then announce-email is a script to do your announcement.
Mine merely writes an informative one-line timestamped message to a log
file (in yellow:-).

I have an entirely separate process tailing that file in a borderless
transparent terminal on my desktop.

This gives you complete separation between logging the mail and the
announcement tool. For example, I also write other messages to that log
file.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743