Re: What does asterisk mean against a mailbox name?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 06:03:34PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, April 23 at 10:58 PM, quoth Chris G:

> >> Hmm, not sure. What's your $folder_format look like?
> >>
> >> I figure it either has something to do with mutt making the filename
> >> "pretty" or with you using %t.
> >>
> >My folder_format is:-
> >
> >    set folder_format="%N %-32.32f %d %6s"
>
> Okay, so it DOES have something to do with making the folder name
> "pretty"...
>
> Ahh, here it is, in browser.c. The asterisk means that the mailbox has
> the S_IXUSR permission bit set (i.e., you've made it executable).
>
> Essentially, mutt adds to the end of each file name an "@" if the file
> is a symbolic link, a "/" if it is a directory, and a "*" if it is
> marked as executable.
>
> Of course, your mailboxes SHOULDN'T be executable, so something is
> messing with your permissions. You can correct the permissions with
> the chmod tool (e.g. `chmod a-x filename`). The real question I'd be
> wondering, though, is how they got marked as executable. That's not
> supposed to happen.

It may be 'historical'.  These mailboxes have been migrated all over
the place and have been back and forth between maildir and mbox
format, so it may well be that I've done a blanket (incorrect) chmod
at some time.  I'll switch them all back to 0644 (or even 0600) and
see if they stay that way.

Thanks!

--
Chris Green