Detecting new mail in mbox format

I know mutt detects new mail in mbox format by comparing the last
access time with the modification time of the file.  However I can't
find anywhere that tells me the exact logic.

In particular if the last access time is the *same* as the
modification time does mutt treat the mailbox as having new mail or
not?   It seems to me that it should treat this case as new mail but,
from what I'm seeing it would seem that it doesn't.

On my system (Ubuntu 8.10) it seems impossible to create a file with
an access time before the modification time.  One can *add* to an
exisitng mailbox and set the modification time later than the access
time but one cannot *create* a new mbox file with access before
modification.

--
Chris Green