Re: get mail in directory browser

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:39:17PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Monday, April  6 at 09:56 PM, quoth Zhengquan Zhang:
> >macro index,pager G "! /usr/bin/getmail -v \n" "Invoke getmail"

> macro generic G ...etc...

Because I accidentally destroyed my muttrc etc in synchronization with
another computer, I am revisiting this post to rebuild my muttrc.

I tried version 1

macro generic G "<shell-escape>/usr/bin/getmail -v<enter>" \

                    "Invoke Getmail"

in index mode it would say
"POP host is not defined." I use getmail to fetch mail so I don't set
pop host in muttrc. But once I set all parameters for pop in muttrc. 'G'
would launch mutt's internal fetch-mail function instead what I have set
in the macro.

in pager mode it does not either, it would say
"Key is not bound.  Press '?' for help."
I understand this because generic does not include pager mode.

in browser mode it works.

I tried version 2

macro index,pager,browser G "<shell-escape>/usr/bin/getmail -v <enter>" \

                   "Invoke getmail"

this works well in 3 modes.

My question would be why version 2 works in 3 modes but version 1 does
not work in index mode?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

--