Re: Mutt + SSL

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 03:21:05PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Monday, April 13 at 08:47 PM, quoth Arthur Dent:
> > set record="imaps://192.168.123.101/Sent"
> >
> > When I installed the SSL certificate I had to change the imaps folder
> > and spoolfile references to be ...192.168.123.101:12345 (with 12345
> > being the non-standard secure port that dovecot listens on.
>
> Why use a non-standard secure port? I mean, if you have a particular
> reason, that's cool, I'm just thinking: Dovecot *can* use the standard
> secure port (I use Dovecot for precisely that).

Well some years ago I had a sustained attack on my open ports (mainly
SSH - port 22) but also on various others. As far as I'm aware no harm
was done, but one of the countermeasures I took then was to move SSH to
a non-standard port. Whilst at it I moved most of the other common ones
too.

> > I guess I need to do the same with the $record reference?
>
> Yes - anything that tells mutt how to talk to the IMAP server needs to
> be updated whenever you change your IMAP server's settings. That's one
> reason the $folder shortcut is so convenient, because you can do this:
>
>      set folder="imaps://mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:12345/"
>      set spoolfile="+"
>      set record="+Sent"
>      set postponed="+Drafts"
>
> Thus, if you ever change your IMAP settings again, you only have to
> change ONE setting (the $folder setting), instead of four. (Keep in
> mind, though, that order is important: define $folder BEFORE the other
> ones.)

This is a brilliant suggestion. I have implemented it as you suggest.

Thank you once again for all your help and consideration. Much
appreciated!

Mark