Re: signature

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 14:49:31 PM -0700, Ravi Uday wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM, J. Limon <jlimon@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > What's the point of a sig *not* at the end of an email? That would
> > make it something completely different wouldn't it?
>
> The problem is if its a lengthy email thread with many people
> replying ontop of each other, when I now write a mail my sig., will
> be the last line in that email, and doesn';t make sense as to where
> I ended the email

Sorry, but you practically begged for this: the problem you mention is
a problem ONLY because you (1) can't be bothered to TRIM as much as
possible of the darn message before replying. If people were polite
enough to always do this:

- 90% of the bottom-or-top-posting flamewars would never start
- people who pay Internet connectivity by byte or minute would not be
  forced to pay many times to re-download many copies of the same text
  they had received in the original message (2)
- you wouldn't have this "put the signature somewhere else" problem

(1) this is not a personal attack, of course. When I say "you" I mean
every email user who has this habit, not Ravi as an individual

(2) the number of such people is **increasing** due to mobile
    connectivity, which very often isn't flat-rate as residential
    contracts: as a matter of fact, I am collecting, to make an
    article, a list of all the REAL complaints I see on mailing list
    of the form:
        "I am unsubscribing because I'm sick and tired to waste money
        (having only GPRS/GSM/WiFi connectivity) because of all the
        morons who resend 100 lines of text just to add a sentence and
        make me pay"

        or

        "I asked the list administrator to expel you for abuse,
        because your quoting habits make other subscribers (who only
        have GPRS etc..)  waste their money"

of course, all this is really relevant only when communicating with
strangers across the Internet, be they potential customers or members
of some mailing list. How any company or other closed group uses email
**internally** is only their business. But why encourage bad habits?

Marco
Digital activism at http://mfioretti.com
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84