Re: How to restore my mail?

You *might* be able to restore it, *if* you use an alternate temp
directory (i.e. if you set the $TMP environment variable, or the
$tmpdir muttrc configuration setting, or maybe if your editor keeps
draft files in a nonstandard place).

Here, I'll walk you through it:

> today I started to write a mail

At this point, your mail was stored partly in the memory of your text
editor (vim/emacs/pico, or whatever you use) and partly in a temporary
directory on your disk (usually /tmp, or $TMP or $tmpdir, if you
specify one of them in your ~/.muttrc). If your editor keeps draft
files somewhere, there may have been a version of it there. Most
editors that use draft files keep them in the same directory as the
file they're editing (so, by default, with most common editors, the
draft file would also be stored in /tmp).

> stopped (= postponed)

At this point, your mail was saved to your $postponed folder and
deleted from the temporary directory. Your editor deleted its draft
file.

> resumed writing

At this point, the mail was written to a temporary file on your disk
(the same as composing the message the first time) and *deleted* from
your $postponed folder. When your text editor loaded, it copied the
message into memory, and maybe also into a draft file.

> and - experienced a short power outage.

At this point, the message was still technically saved to disk in that
temporary file, though of course not including any unsaved changes.

> No problem so far, but after booting my machine again, I can't find
> the mail.

BUT when you booted your machine, your operating system automatically
deleted the contents of /tmp. This is considered a security feature,
as well as simply good housekeeping. IF you had $TMP or $tmpdir
pointed elsewhere, such as ~/.tmp/ or something similar, then your
mail will still be there, in a file beginning with "mutt-". IF your
editor keeps draft files somewhere other than the same directory as
the file being edited (i.e. someplace that wasn't in /tmp), you may be
able to recover it that way too.

> It's not in the "postponed" file anymore. So my question is:
> Where can I find my mail resp. how can I restore it?

You *may* be out of luck.

Here's hoping you aren't! Good luck!

~Kyle
- --
Truth springs from argument amongst friends.
                                                          -- David Hume