message-hook in index mode?

I would like to do some per-message pattern matching using a hook
to adjust a macro on a per-message basis.

My mail filer delivers messages I need to see and (possibly) read to my
"=me" mailbox. I have 'd' mapped to a macro that feeds the message to my
"non-spam" bogofilter counter and saves the message to "=OLD/YYYY/me".

The macro is made when I start mutt, based on the opening folder, so
OLD/YYYY/me is effecively hardwired. For other folders (eg "=mutt")
this works well - I want to just move deleted messages into the archive.
(I should say that my usage pattern is to start mutt on a particular
folder and later quit; I do not "change folders").

However, because my "=me" folder is something of a catch-all for
messages
I should consider, the delete action should vary. For example, I'd like
certain logwatch messages to "delete" into a reports folder, work
related discussion email to "delete" into the "work" folder etc.

Now, I can write patterns to recognise messages but I don't know how to have
them take effect. Looking at "message-hook" in "man muttrc" it says that it
runs when a message is displayed/formatted. However, some messages are going
to get "deleted" without opening - I will be purely in the index.

At present I can only imagine handing the message to a procmail
filter to make the decisions. But is there something that can fire
whenever I move lines in the index?

Alternatively, I can imagine a horribe hack of making "d" pipe the
message to /dev/null in order to trigger the formatter in order to
trigger message-hook, and then proceeding with the newly tweaked delete
macro.

Has anyone any better ideas?

Cheers,
--