Non-permanence of the "new messages" flag (maildir)

Hello,

I've looked around and found FAQ answers on new messages not being
reported correctly, where Maildir folders are mentioned as a solution.
In my case, the new messages flag when using maildir is the problem.

Environment:
``mutt-devel'' built from the FreeBSD ports (Mutt 1.5.18 (2008-05-17)).

muttrc options:
 alias_file              folder_format           mbox_type
use_from
 ascii_chars             from                    pager_stop
!mark_old
 charset                 hostname                realname
 envelope_from           implicit_autoview       record
 folder                  index_format            sort

(mbox_type is "maildir", folder is $HOME/Maildir/)

mailboxes are set properly (see below).

In the index I do see the new messages flag, but only the first time
I see the folder in the mailboxes index.

Example:
I receive a message that gets put in '.INBOX.gmail.INBOX'
(through gmail, offlineimap.  The subfolder syntax is due to Dovecot
serving the maildir folders through IMAP.  No mail client is using
the IMAP server as I run these tests.)

I start mutt and go to the index.  I see the `N' flag next to the
'.INBOX.gmail.INBOX' folder.  I go in that folder, a message is marked
as new.  I don't read the message, and go to the index.  Now there is no
`N' flag next to the `.INBOX.gmail.INBOX'.  I go in that folder, and the
_message_ is still marked as new.

I said the mailboxes are set properly, here is the reason for that
claim: If I press tab in the index I do see the expected mailboxes.

If you need additional information, I will be happy to provide it, or
run whatever tests you want.  If this is documented somewhere and I
didn't find it, I apologize and will gladly accept a pointer in the
right direction.

Thanks,
--Vincent