"Invalid mailbox name" with mutt + Dovecot

Hi all. I have been happily using mutt on various Linux boxes over the
years (currently Ubuntu gutsy, mutt 1.5.15). I connect via IMAP to my
ISP, pair.com.

Two weeks ago pair replaced their IMAP server with a Dovecot
installation. I do not know what their old server was. Now, when I
attempt to access a mailbox other than my inbox with mutt (something
like "=spam"), mutt tells me "invalid mailbox name." I can access INBOX
just fine.

I have asked pair to look into the problem, but they haven't been able
to find the answer, though I think they are still trying. It's getting
really annoying to not have access to my various folders to store mail
in. Lots of googling has failed to find people with similar problems.

Does anyone have any insights? Anything particular I should suggest that
my ISP try? Any way I can change my mutt config to play better with
Dovecot? Or is it time for a new ISP?

Relevant bits of .muttrc:

 set folder="imaps://misilay.pair.com/../mail"
 set spoolfile="imaps://misilay.pair.com"

My inbox on misilay.pair.com is in /var/mail/jphekman; my other mail
folders are in ~/mail/.

Thanks,
Jessica