simple pattern not matching message

In summary: limit "repl" doesn't find a message whose subject is
"replication".  Other patterns work just fine.

Hopefully I've managed to reduce this to a nice simple reproducible test case.

mutt 1.5.15+20070412-1ubuntu1, using the attached test file.
The test file contains a single message with "Subject: replication".

  mutt -n -F /dev/null -f ./repltest

After answering "no" to the "create ~/Mail?" question, the one and only
message is shown.  So far so good.

If I type "<limit>repl\n", the message is *not* shown, when as far as I can
tell it should be.  Whereas with all these other patterns, the message *is*
shown:

  <limit>repl.\n
  <limit>re.l\n
  <limit>~f repl | ~s repl\n
  <limit>~s repl\n

It seems that somehow the exact pattern 'repl' is different.

Any ideas?

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/