Re: searching in search results

* lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-19-08 21:37]:

> is it possible to somehow search within search results? For example,
> if I want to find a message of which I know the From: header and a
> word or some words of the body, how do I find it when going by either
> the From: line or the body only would give too many results?
>
> Maybe tag messages by From: header and then limit the search to tagged
> messages? That would work for two levels of searching only, unless I'd
> start copying messages around or so ... which I could do to begin
> with. Hmm. But is there a better way?

Look at mairix,   http://www.rc0.org.uk/mairix

mairix is a tool for indexing and searching email messages stored in
Maildir, MH, or mbox folders. The index contains a map of which words
occur in which parts of which messages. Searches on this index are
fast and generate symlinks to the matching messages in a new Maildir
or MH folder, or copies of matching messages in an mbox folder, which
can be browsed normally in a mail client.

I have been using it for about two years and have been very pleased.