Index Column Width

I'm looking for a way to more strictly regulate the width of the columns
in the index.  For example, in my current configuration if an email
address shows up in my index that is too long to be displayed in the
parameters I have set for the From field (25 characters), it overflows
into the subject column pushing my column formatting off.  Is there a
way to cut off names and addresses that run over?
--
GCC/O$ d--(+) s+:- a- C++ L++>+++ W++ K- w O? M V? PS- PE++ t 5 X R(+) tv+ b++