Re: Gnupg2 vs gnupg

* felix@xxxxxxxxxxx <felix@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-09-03 21:47]:
> On gentoo at least, gnupg2 gets real pissy when there is no X
> environment.  I don't use it all that much, but memory says that
> clearing DISPLAY and trying numerous other tricks to force a command
> line passphrase input didn't work, that it always popped up a display
> window to prompt for it.  I don't remember now what happened when
> there was no display, only that I was frustrated and never did get it
> to work without a display, or maybe that I could not force it to not
> use the display if it could find one.

Hmm - last year I would have confirmed your description of the situation of
gnupg2 on Gentoo but I gave it another try this summer and it was very easy to
get it working with the ncurses interface :)

Just set

  GPG_TTY=`tty`

in your SHELL environment and use

  pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-curses

in your ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf

But this doesn't answer Kyles question ...

Greetz
Stefan