Re: mutt hangs when using remote imap server over home broadband

* Dan Davison <davison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-04-08 09:10]:

> Right, thanks to the people who told me to stop using mutt to retrieve
> email. I've now got getmail retrieving from the imap server, and
> procmail sorting incoming mail into different maildirs. So, as you
> predicted, that's much better. I've got a few questions at the moment:
>
> 1. I've aliased mutt to mutt -y. That start up screen is really helpful, but
>
> 1a) How do I return to it after I've entered a particular maildir? At
> the moment I'm hitting q and restarting mutt...

Man, you *really* need to have a look at the fine mutt manual.

"c", <change-folder>

typing a "?" will present you with a screen of commonly used commands

> 1b) Sometimes maildirs have an 'N' next to them to indicate new mail,
> but at other times there is no 'N' despite having new mail. Can anyone
> enlighten me about this?

'N' does mean "new mail" but does *not* mean "unread mail".  Once you
have seen that new mail is there, you have accessed the folder/file
containing the mail and the system "access" date/time has changed.
"N" is defined by the system access date/time/

> 2. I've set up a key to run getmail:
>
> macro generic G \
> <shell-escape>'getmail'<enter> \
> 'Run getmail'
>
> But it's a bit ugly to have to do this to check for new mail; mutt
> temporarily disappears then I get a message saying 'press any key to
> continue'. It all seems a bit 1980s. Do you have recommendations for a
> nice way to get getmail to check for mail constantly in the
> background, and mutt to recognise when getmail has deposited new mail?

I do not use getmail, but fetchmail which I run as a daemon.  As you
have surmized below, either method is fine.  It is about choice  :^).

> I can think of some ways (cron job, backgrounded daemon-like process),
> but I thought there might be a standard solution.

above.  Standard is whichever suits you.

AGAIN, please read the fine mutt manual.