Re: mutt and plaintext passwords : muttrc encryption ?

On 28 Jul 2008 21:53 +0100, by m.m@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michele Martone):
> still I can't stand the need of a wrapper.. if only one could use
> multi line shell expansion, and place that `gpg --decrypt` straight into
> the muttrc.

I haven't tried it, but I can't get it out of my head... wouldn't
sourcing through a pipe something that sets the sensitive stuff work?

Something like this:

source "gpg -d sensitivestuff.gpg |"

and sensitivestuff being just another muttrc snippet.

It would only execute the pipe once, so you avoid the problem of
needing to type your passphrase multiple times, and it *should* not
write anything to disk in plain text.

Since nobody has suggested this approach - what is wrong with it?

--
Michael Kjörling .. michael@xxxxxxxxxxx .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *