Re: Sender's time zone in attribution?

On 2008-06-30, Marianne Promberger <marianne.promberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to have an attribution (the line above quoted text in
> replies) that looks like this:
>
> 'On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, 21:12 EDT, Firstname Lastname wrote:'
>
> where "EDT" would always be the alphabetic time zone abbreviation of
> the sender's time zone.
>
> If I do:
>
> set date_format="%a, %d %b %Y, %H:%M %Z"
> and
> set attribution="On %d, %n wrote:"
>
> I get:
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, 22:23 +0200, Firstname Lastname wrote:
>
> that is, the offset from UTC.
>
> If I use
> set attribution="On %d, %n wrote:"
> I get the desired alphabetic abbreviation, but the time and time zone
> (not surprisingly) of my own location.
>
> Is there any way to get %Z to expand to the alphabetic abbreviation of
> the sender's time zone?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it, since the mapping from
offset-from-UTC to timezone name is not unique.

The only way I can think of to do this is to extract the timezone
name from the sender's Date header, e.g., by setting 'header'
before replying, then using a editor macro to pull the timezone name
from the Date line into your attribution line.

Regards,
Gary