smtp_pass: why is it unneeded?

Hello,

I use mutt's IMAP to check my email, and mutt's built-in SMTP to point
to my remote SMTP server (that is, I have set
smtp_url=smtps://blah.com).  I also have set smtp_pass, but I've
discovered by accident that I can send mail even with smtp_pass
commented out, and without mutt asking me to enter that password.

It *seemed* that somebody (mutt, or the smtp server) is determining the
user name and password needed by the smtp server, by looking at what
imap_user and imap_pass are.  For instance, if I unset imap_user and
imap_pass (in addition to having unset smtp_pass), *then* mutt will ask
me for a username and password.

However, this can't be right, because if I leave imap_user in place, so
that only smtp_pass and imap_pass are unset, I can send mail without
being prompted for anything.

Is it supposed to work like that?  Both sets of behaviors seem weird to
me, but especially the latter.  (Since I now have no idea where the smtp
server is getting my password from).  I'm beginning to wonder if I'm
really getting authenticated smtp service.
-g