caching not right

Hello,

I have a large IMAP folder (~17000 messages), and on the remote machine it's a
maildir.  Mutt 1.5.18 has just begun ignoring the header cache.  When I go to
that folder, I see "evauluating cache" like normal, but then it starts
"fetching headers" starting from scratch.  When this finishes, if I go to a
different folder and then return (or quit mutt and return), mutt cannot
remember that it just cached all those headers.

Backend is qdbm.  I'd posted before about how with all backends, mutt has been
randomly forgetting that it caches this folder.  But now it does it every
single time.

Just before this began happening every time, I added a folder-hook in my muttrc
regarding this large folder (just to set sort=date).  I thought maybe that did
something weird, so I removed the hook.  But the behavior persists.

Anyone have a clue?  TIA.
-g