Re: problem with backspace key in xterm-256color

On Sunday, June 15 at 06:16 PM, quoth Marianne Promberger:
> That helped my solve the problem by using "\177" instead of
> <backspace> in the .muttrc

Heh, sure, that's one way to do it.

> both with TERM=xterm and TERM=xterm-256color, pressing Ctrl-v
> backspace shows up as:
>
> ^?

Okay... (that's the same as \177)

>> If not, is your termcap perhaps different? Try these two commands:
>>
>>      infocmp -1 -L xterm | grep key_backspace
>
>        key_backspace=\177,
>
>>      infocmp -1 -L xterm-256color | grep key_backspace
>
>       key_backspace=^H,

HUH! Interesting. You have a broken xterm termcap file. Where did it
come from?

> That is good enough for me, as I'm lazy and I'd rather not recompile
> mutt with slang :)

As long as it works for you, that's the important thing.

> But it occurred to me that another way to solve this would be if
> mutt skipped checking for my terminal's color support.

Can't. That's part of the ncurses library. Essentially, there is no
"standard" way of saying "I want to draw this letter in color 157", so
it *has* to look up how to say that. The act of looking it up is what
tells it how many colors the terminal supports.

> If mutt could skip checking for TERM=xterm-256color, that would make
> my life easier anyway, since with that TERM some remote shells
> refuse to operate, because they say "I know nothing about your
> terminal" (I've worked around that problem by setting practically
> all my ssh .bashrc aliases to start with "export TERM=xterm && ssh
> ... ".

My solution was to copy an nsterm-16color termcap file (that's what
terminal I use) to all those remote servers. :) That way I can tell
myself it's not a workaround, it's the "correct" way of providing
information about my terminal.

~Kyle
- --
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat,
and wrong.
                                                       -- H. L. Mencken