Re: Searching imap folders

> > One good way is to have a local copy of them, using a tool like
> > offlineimap, and then point mutt and mairix to the local maildir instead
> > of the imap server. Plus you get offline access to your e-mail as a
> > bonus!
>
> Does offlineimap provide a stable setup when you have 100s of emails and
> 10s of folders?

Yes, and it is extremely fast (I have about 12k messages totalling 500Mo
in about 30 mailboxes, and offlineimap keeps going just fine. One sync
with no new message takes about 3 to 5 seconds ...)

The only thing that it doesn't sync back to the imap server is the
creation of local mailboxes, everything else (moving e-mail, marking as
read/unread, deleting) is flawless.

  /v

PS: Well one caveat is if you are using darwin / mac os x, then there is
a nasty bug due to the system's implementation of realloc() that
interacts with python's socket library. It should be fixed by now - and
in any case, the worst that can happen is that offlineimap randomly
crashes on large e-mails, but it will not lose email in the process.

--
Vincent Beffara
UMPA - ENS Lyon