Re: set time_inc= ?

On 28May2008 09:56, Wilkinson, Alex <alex.wilkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Ok so in the manual time_inc says:
|
|   "this variable controls the frequency with which progress updates are
|    displayed. It suppresses updates less than ``time_inc'' milliseconds
apart. This
|    can improve throughput on systems with slow terminals, or when running
mutt on a
|    remote system."
|
| Ok so what is meant by "progress updates" ?

Progress doing time consuming stuff. Like opening (large) mailboxes,
sending or receiving data, etc. I have this:

  set time_inc=250
  set net_inc=1
  set read_inc=10
  set write_inc=10

| I'm still trying to work out what time_inc gives me :(
| AFAICT with time_inc=10 included in my $HOME/.mutt/settings I see no change,
yet
| I see people on this list raving about it ? What am I missing ?

"time_inc=10" is 10ms - 1/100th of a second. That is so much smaller than
human reaction time as to make no difference - you can't visually tell it
from no time_inc at all.

I went with 250ms, fast enough to give "rapid looking" update while still
placing a cap on how much updating gets done (i.e. preventing a slow net
link slowing up the operation if the amount of progress reporting is too
verbose).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The fabs of the future will be pressrooms.
- overhead by WIRED at the Intelligent Printing conference Oct2006