Re: htmlview

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:00:08AM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:
> On 10-05-2008, at 10h 26'28", hce wrote about "htmlview"
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've set mutt in two machines, one in FC6 and another in Debian. The
> > FC6 installed htmlview, the FC6 mutt automatically launchs a brower
> > for viewing html emails. In Debian, I could not find htmlview package
> > for that feature. What package should I install in Debian to get
> > automatically launch a brower to view HTML emails like it in FC6?
> >

> What is "FC6"? Did you try to use alien to convert that package from
> this "FC6" distribution (if it is a Linux disto) into a debian package?

It's Fedora Core 6 I assume (a fairly old Fedora version, we're at
Fedora 9 now, having lost the 'Core').

htmlview is, as far as I can tell from recently looking into it, a
RedHat/Fedora script which does various convolutions to decide how to
try and display your HTML E-Mail (like it checks for X, then a GUI
browser, then a text mode browser, etc., etc.).

> What is the outcome of this command in a terminal:
>   echo $BROWSER
>
> Do you have an entry "text/html" in your /etc/mailcap or ~/.mailcap?

Quite, much better without htmlview and doing it the 'user driven' way
that gives you what you specify rather than what the distribution
guesses you might want.

--
Chris Green