autoview/mailcap/elinks question

I have moved from using lynx as my HTML mail viewer to using elinks
which, for some types of HTML in particular, works much better.

However it's still not as good as it could be.  I have "auto_view
text/html" in my muttrc file.  I have "text/html; elinks -force-html
%s; copiousoutput" in my .mailcap.  HTML E-Mail is displayed 80
columns wide even when I have a much wider window and colours (i.e.
background etc.) are not set properly.

If I hit 'v' in the index and save the HTML part of the message to a
file and then view that file using elinks I get a much better version,
it uses the available width of the window and sets background colours
etc.

Is there anything I can do to get the better version via auto_view?

--
Chris Green