mutt keeps thinking there's new mail in /var/mail/user

Hi,

I'm using Mutt 1.5.15 on Xubuntu Gutsy, on two machines with what I
thought was the same setup (same ~/.muttrc et al files).

On the laptop, when I send mail to myself on localhost using the exim
MTA that comes with Ubuntu, it goes nicely into /var/mail/username,
which is an mbox mailbox.

I have in ~/.muttrc
mailboxes /var/mail/username
so it  shows up in in the mailbox browser.
I can read these mails with mutt just fine.

So far, so good.

I have in ~/.muttrc
macro   index   q    '<change-folder>?<toggle-mailboxes>'

so when I hit "q" from the /var/mail/username index I get back to the
mailbox browser, and that correctly does not show any "N" next to
/var/mail/username mailbox.

However, when I either go into a different mailbox and then back to
the mailbox browser view, or if I exit mutt completely and then
restart it, mutt shows an N for new mail next to the
/var/mail/username mailbox in the browser. When I open that mailbox in
mutt, the message is correctly neither flagged as "N" nor as "O".

If I delete all the messages in /var/mail/username, the "N" goes away.

This does not happen for any other mailbox -- mutt correctly does not
show an "N" if all messages have been seen.

Also oddly, this does not happen on the desktop, so it may well be
something to do with something outside of mutt but I have no idea
where to look, since I don't know how and where mutt stores info about
seen/unseen mail in the mailboxes.

Any pointers would be great.

m.