configuration tips

Hi,

I admin a box a number of people use for shell access and reading email.

I've installed w3m, gpg, and mutt.

I use the default Muttrc, but include Muttrc.local, which has this:

set mbox_type=Maildir
set folder="~/Maildir"
set mask="!^\\.[^.]"
set mbox="+.read"
set record="+.sent"
set postponed="+.postponed"
set spoolfile="~/Maildir/inbox"
auto_view text/html
set editor=nano
source /usr/local/share/examples/mutt/gpg.rc

Also, the default mailcap has:

text/html; w3m %s; nametemplate=%s.html
text/html; w3m -dump %s; nametemplate=%s.html; copiousoutput

Are there any other system-wide settings that I should consider
configuring for my users?  I'm interested in giving them a functional,
useful, relatively secure configuration out of the box, but without
enabling any features that they may want to disable but couldn't.

So far it seems pretty easy for users to "undo" any config changes I
make, with few exceptions.

In particular, viewing HTML emails is a pain.  The w3m -dump won't let
you browse, and viewing images is obviously impossible.

Also, attachments are a pain; you can't save locally.

I will add another box with IMAP support, but I've seen a number of
people who try to brute-force account passwords through POP/IMAP and I
don't want this happening on this box (we use only key-based
authentication with SSH).
--
https://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
I need a better strategy for being less analytical.