downloading and compiling from source

Hi

I'm new to Linux and bought my machine with ubuntu 7.10 this week. I've
been using Mac osx for the last 6 months and so i'm still very much in
the learning stages.

I've got a lot of stuff to read to teach myself, but having been using
Mutt on my Mac i want to get it up and running on my Linux machine as
quickly as possible.

Before i attempt it, i wanted to ask for some tips on how best to
download the source and build it myself (presumably using ./configure,
make and make install commands).

also, which directory should i compile it in - is there one i should
use/create for programs like Mutt? On my Mac system, i had it installed
in /sw as i followed some instruction from a site i found on the web,
but i don't fully understand why this directory was used?

I'm aware i could use sudo apt-get install, but wasn't sure if this
would install an older version of Mutt, or indeed if it's best to avoid
this and install it manually.

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Jamie