Re: Handling attached .eml files

On 2008-03-07, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, March  7 at 04:20 PM, quoth Gary Johnson:
> >(Sigh.)  I just received a message containing a forwarded message as
> >an attached .eml file.  Mutt doesn't seem to know what to do with
> >it.
>
> Mutt will only use file-extensions if you tell it to. Specifically,
> add this to your muttrc:
>
>      mime_lookup application/octet-stream
>
> That's step 1. The next step is to tell mutt what mime-type to assume
> .eml files are. You do that by adding the following line to your
> ~/.mime.types file:
>
>      message/rfc822    eml
>
> Once you've done that, mutt *should* handle the eml file just fine.

But those steps tell mutt how to use an _external_ application, as
specified in the mailcap file, to view the message.  Mutt doesn't
look at the content type associated with the extension to see if it
knows how to handle that content type internally.  I think that's a
weakness of the mime_lookup feature.

I already have step 1 in my muttrc and I added step 2 to my
mime.types file just to see what would happen.  The results were the
same as before.

I also sent a message to the ISP from which the message was
forwarded explaining the problem and asking them to please configure
their web mail client to forward messages as content type
message/rfc822 and not application/octet-stream.  I expected them to
reply that their mail program was hard-coded to do that and couldn't
be reconfigured.  Instead they replied with this:

   There is nothing wrong with forwarding.
   Other option is use outlook.

(More sighing.)

Regards,