folder-hook that never matches inbox

Hello.

I am running Debian's 1.5.17+20080114-1 (which shouldn't matter) and Dovecot 1.0, which maps my inbox to '=INBOX'.

I have $folder and $spoolfile set appropriately, yet folder-hooks that use '!' or '=INBOX' do not trigger when changing to the inbox (this includes, of course, when starting mutt).

The debug log tells me very little about what's happening about this, the only relevant thing I think of looking at is the list of sourced files as they are read by mutt, since I have a split configuration. Still, this looks fine and I got stuck without knowing where else to look.

Any hints would be appreciated. (I've had this problem for too long but never cared to address it.)

Thanks,

--
redondos