Re: automatically check for new mail

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 07:50:11PM +0100, Steve S wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 06:19:59PM +0000, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
> > On Mon 28.Jan'08 at 18:33:17 +0100, Steve S wrote:
> >> I'm new to mutt, so this question my have been asked before (I found
> >> nothing on
> >> the web/in the wiki etc.). In my muttrc I have
> >> bind  browser n check-new
> >>
> >> which works ok. I hit `n` manually from time to time to see if there is new
> >> mail. Is it possible to do that automatically in the background (ala cron)?
> >
> > Are you using mailboxes? If so, this should be done automatically.
>
> Yes, I'm using Maildir format boxes:
>
> set mbox_type=Maildir
> set folder=~/Maildir
> set spoolfile=~/Maildir
> set record=+sent
> set postponed=+postponed
> mailboxes +spam +inbox +sent +postponed ...
>
> My MRA is gets mail controled by a cronjob, but in mutt's folder browser, I
> see
> folders makred with 'N' only when I (a) hit `n` or (b) close mutt and restart
> it.

edit:

I played with $timeout and $mail_check:

set timeout=10
set mail_check=5

I sent a mail to myself, downloaded new mail and went back to the browser, all
without quitting mutt. If I understand the manual correctly, mutt should have
checked after ~ 10s that new mail has arrived. But no 'N' flag showed up
whatsoever (until I finally hit `n`). Am I missing something obvious
here?

Thanks.

s.