A few mutt questions

Hello people,

I'm increasingly happy with mutt. But I still have a few questions:

1. I'd like to have new or unread mail (what's the difference, anyway?)
   flagged somehow. Occasionally I see an N next to some messages, but in
   general mutt seems to completely oblivious to what's new or unreaed.
   That's a botch because I have to scrutinize several inboxes for new
   mail and frequently overlook things. I know there's the option to
   automatically stuff read messages into the "mbox", but I like to leave
   read messages in inbox as a to-do reminder when necessary.

2. Is there a way to specify a "default-recipient" to be inserted when
   composing a new message? As I'm subscribed to several mailing lists
   I'd like to put that into a folder-hook so that when I hit 'm' in a list
   folder I get the To: field pre-filled with that list's address.

3. There were more but I forgot.

--D.