Gmail IMAP old vs new

Hello all,

I have been using mutt for a while with getmail and pop access to my
gmail account.  Now with gmail offering IMAP, I am trying to switch
over.  I can send and receive mail ok.  But when I receive new mail the
status flag is O (for old) and not N (for New).  I have done a quick
search of the mutt-users archive and a google search looking for the
correct setting.

As an added note, I was using a gkrellm plug-in to check the IMAP box
but I disabled it.  My guess was that it was showing that I had accessed
the box with new mail before mutt could get a hold if it.  But that
didn't help a bit.

My apologies if this is not really a mutt issue but a gmail issue.

Thanks in advance,
Chris