Howto run a command in message hooks (was: Re: How to send a return receipt)

Hi,

as it does not seem to be integrated into mutt upstream (at least not in
a forseeable timeline) I'm currently trying to
figure who a scripted solution to my problem would look like.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:14:48PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
> It appears complex to you, but in fact it _is_ simple.

If thats true, then the problem I am currently stuck on should be fairly simple
to solve. So some explanations, then my question:

I want to write a script that _asks_ the user, if he wants to send a return
receipt (note how that differs from your assumption that a macro would be
suffice. For me it wouldn't because w/o the question _I_ would forget to send
the return receipt). Something like this can automatically be triggered only by
message
hooks. But as the solution is extern (= a script), how do i call it from within
the message hook? I added a hook like this:

message-hook "~h Return-Receipt-To:" "|/home/schoenfeld/.mutt/return_receipt"

And even though the specified file is a valid executable script mutt says (when
I open this mail in the pager):

|/home/schoenfeld/.mutt/return_receipt: Unknown command

Why? According to what I read this works for macros, why shouldn't it work for
message hooks?

Regards
Patrick