utf8 encoding problem, but which part?

hi all

my problem isn't clear for me,  what it is exactly. I became a mail from
russia with koi8-u encoding (in mailheader). My system is debian stable. In
muttrc, I defined 'set charset=utf-8', the terminal is mlterm (I tried also
xterm with the same result) and locale output (see below) shows good. Now, the
mailcontent in mutt is right, but if I reply to this (mails open with vim), then
there are strange signs there (but only the not-ascii). Regardless if I set
':set
encoding=utf-8' in vim or not, vim don't show this characters correct. I tried
also emacs, it display exact the same like vim.
Now, I don't know where I should begin to debugging and how. Is this a
problem of my system, of my terminal, of mutt or vim? I don't know this. I
googled a lot, but because I couldn't define my problem exactly, I search in
the darkness.

Have you any idea for this?
thank you.
raphael