"toggle-old"

Dear list,

It seems impossible to remove the O flag on messages without the use
of Wo, Wn, or NkN (assuming $resolve is set), which is 200% to 300%
of the work I am willing to put into this. Does anyone know of
a better way to approach this?

I came up with

  macro index,pager N ":set my_resolve=$resolve<enter>:unset
    resolve<enter><toggle-new><clear-flag>o:set
    resolve=$my_resolve<enter><next-message>"

but with that in place, I now have to use wn to mark messages as new
(the point of which is doubtful, as the messages aren't new anymore,
but many people use inboxes as todo lists, and I kind of still do
too).

So then I started wondering about the point of <toggle-new>,
especially with $mark_old set. Wouldn't it make more sense if
<toggle-new> toggled the O flag when $mark_old was set?

How do you do it?

"syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."
                                            -- epigrams in programming

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx