Re: Spellcheck

On 2007.10.05 16:15:42 +0000, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> On Friday, October  5 at 01:15 PM, quoth Rem P Roberti:
> >On 2007.10.05 21:55:32 +0000, Michael Tatge wrote:
> >> * On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 Rem P Roberti (rem@xxxxxxxxxx) muttered:

> >> So hit "i" in the compose menu to run $ispell.
> >> As of lately I use vim's built-in spell checker which is quite neat IMO.
> >>

> >Boy, I really am missing something here.  Hit "i"?  Compose menu?  I'm lost.
>
> The compose menu is the screen that shows up when you tell mutt to
> send an email, just after you finish editing that email.
>
> The "i" key is the one on the US qwerty keyboard right between the "u"
> and "o" keys, above and slightly to the left of the "k" key. ;)
>
> The ispell setting in mutt is for being able to trigger ispell to
> spell check your email before you send it. Mutt does not, however,
> force you to check your messages, it just makes it convenient for you
> to check them if you desire. By default, the key to do that is the "i"
> key (you can, of course, change what key triggers ispell).
>
> But, let's phrase this another way: what were you *expecting* the
> ispell setting in mutt to do?
>
> ~Kyle

Believe it or not, I actually do know where the "i" key is, but what I couldn't
figure out was how to use it.
That, of course, was because I didn't understand that the compose menu was the
screen that followed after
doing the edits in vi.  What I expected to be able to do was to invoke the
spell checker directly from within
vi, which is no doubt possible, but which so far eludes me.  Nevertheless, once
you pointed out to me where
the real compose screen exists, I find that I really do have a workable spell
checker.

Rem

N.B. I am a refugee from Windows, so the going has been a bit dicey.  But I
have learned enough about my
system (FreeBSD), and the programs therein to report to you that the die is
cast, and there is no turning back.