Re: Which spam filter do you use?

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 09:47:26 AM -0500, Kyle Wheeler
(kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Friday, October  5 at 04:02 PM, quoth M. Fioretti:
> > 0) Do I have a flat rate fast connection, where I wouldn't notice SA
> >   contactly doing network checks?
>
> Indeed! Not all solutions are perfect for all situations.

Yes, that's the same thing I had said, which it applies to all the pieces of
the puzzle, including this:

> >   is the difference big enough
> >   to justify the extra CPU and/or bandwidth consumption, plus keeping
> >   the rules updated?

> > And if one has full control of the MTA, where lots of spam can and
> > should be recognized and blocked before ever starting SA or any
> > other content filter.
>
> That depends on what you're willing to put up with.

Of course. The MTA can block many surely spammish messages (those
pretending to come from inside your network, for example). At the same
time, DNS blacklists as a completely blocking mechanism make sense
only _if_ their maintainer is inhumanly perfect. Otherwise, it comes
too often too close to censorship (when who decides what you will not
receive is somebody ELSE, of course: any individual filtering
exclusively his or her own mail must remain free to shoot himself in
the feet).

        Ciao,
                Marco
--
Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depends on
how software is used *around* you:     http://digifreedom.net/node/84