Odd bug/feature with mixed mbox and maildir

I keep my mail in two separate hierarchies, all incoming mail is
delivered (via a perl script which does procmail sort of things) to
a series of maildir mailboxes in ~/Mail and ~/Mail/lists.

All the mail that I save for any reason is saved in mbox format below
~/savedMail.  I have "set mbox_type=mbox" in my muttrc, mutt
recognises the incoming mail in maildir format without problems.

However if I 'c' directly to one of the maildir mailboxes, entering
its full path then I get to see the following:-

    ->   ../                              Oct 04 11:11   4.0K
         cur/                             Oct 04 16:36   0.1K
         new/                             Oct 04 16:36   0.1K
         tmp/                             Oct 04 15:34   0.1K

I.e. mutt hasn't recognised that it's a maildir.  If I navigate there
via the directory above (or even go to .. and then back from the abve)
mutt recognises it correctly as a maildir.

--
Chris Green